The proper Greek lamb stew recipe with orzo pasta (Greek lamb giouvetsi)!! Juicy and tender, melt-in-the-mouth lamb stew with a scrumptious, intense tomato-based sauce and conventional orzo pasta…The best dish for a Sunday household dinner! Lamb Giouvetsi (Greek Lamb stew with orzo pasta) is a centuries previous dish that was historically served as a one-pot meal and within the previous days it might have been baked in a house’s wooden burning oven. There have been additionally many situations the place a house didn’t have an oven however every village had at the very least one bakery supplying bread for the assured demand of the villagers. It was fairly frequent for a household to lug the day’s dish over to the bakery and have dish cooked within the baker’s oven… (See additionally Beef stew with orzo pasta)
Have you ever ever questioned how some stews have this soften within the mouth texture whereas others style like chewing rubber? It’s all about selecting the best lower and cooking it the fitting manner. For a Greek lamb giouvetsi (stew), it is advisable select massive cuts of fine high quality leg of lamb, which, when cooked for a very long time, grow to be fork tender. When cooking a Greek lamb stew (giouvetsi), the meat is first browned and sealed to maintain it good and juicy, then added to a tomato-based sauce together with onion, carrots and wine and cooked at a low temperature. Then it’s cooked for some time within the oven together with the orzo pasta to permit the flavors to mingle into one thing a lot rather more. That is the key to realize the soften within the mouth texture, that can make your lamb giouvetsi simply good!
Observe our directions and cook dinner the proper lamb giouvetsi (Lamb stew with orzo pasta)! Obtained any questions or feedback? Be happy so as to add a remark within the part under and we’re more than pleased to assist! Additionally don’t neglect to share with your mates in your favourite social networking web site utilizing the hyperlinks above.
- 1 kg/35 ounces leg of lamb, boneless, lower into chunks
- 2 medium crimson onions, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced (1 cm thick)
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsps tomato puree
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 glass of crimson wine
- 1 bay leaf
- half of cup of olive oil
- 250g orzo pasta (9 ounces) ( kritharaki / manestra )
- 100g grated kefalotyri or feta cheese (5 ounces)
- To organize this lamb giouvetsi recipe, begin by slicing the lamb into chunks. Wipe the lamb with paper towels. Warmth half of of a cup of olive oil right into a pan, add the chopped onions and carrots and sauté for five minutes in medium-low warmth. Flip up the warmth and add the lamb; brown the meat on all sides till crusty.
- Stir within the tomato purée and pour within the crimson wine. Await the wine to evaporate. Add the tinned tomatoes, a glass of water, the nay leaf, sugar and a great pinch of salt and pepper.
- Flip the warmth down and simmer with the lid on for at the very least 45 minutes.
- Within the meantime into one other pan warmth three tbsps of olive oil and the orzo pasta. Sauté, till golden.
- Place the orzo pasta together with the meat and sauce in an oven tray (take away the bay leaf) and blend with a spatula. Cowl the tray with some aluminum foil and bake in preheated oven at 180C for 30 minutes. Take away the aluminum foil, add a glass of water if wanted, and put again within the oven for an additional 15 minutes. Sprinkle with some grated arduous yellow cheese (kefalotyri) and luxuriate in!
Recipe picture gallery: