A conventional Cypriot Flaouna recipe (Flaounes), so that you can put together this scrumptious cypriot candy & savoury desert to perfection! Flaounes are often ready over the Easter holidays with the entire preparation routine being a big household affair however as I completely love the feel and delicate flavours of this little deal with, I at all times find yourself getting ready all of them yr spherical! So I’ve put collectively my perfect Flaouna recipe so that you can do that scrumptious dish!
All of the secrets and techniques for the greatest conventional flaouna recipe
Getting ready Flaounas may be fairly an affair with the entire household gathered round and serving to with the preparation! Over Easter, Cypriot households often make very massive portions of this scrumptious flaouna recie, therefore the kitchen resembles extra a manufacturing line with the adults getting ready the mixtures for the flaouna and the children doing all of the meeting earlier than taking them to the native bakery to have them cooked. In an effort to make the method rather less concerned I’ve scaled down the portions for this recipe so that you may give it a attempt with out having to purchase a brand new oven!
Getting ready this conventional Flaouna recipe is comparatively easy – however there are a few factors to look out for. Firstly be sure you put together your filling from the day earlier than and let it relaxation within the fridge. This may enable your flaouna recipe filling to soak in all of the scrumptious spices giving them their distinctive flavour. The second level to notice is to not overwork the flaouna dough as you don’t want the gluten to develop and change into bread-like. And at last its all about getting the unique flaouna components – mahlab, mastic and the scrumptious flaouna recipe cheese, all of which you will discover at your native Greek/Cypriot deli or on-line. Amazon shares each mastic and mahlab and in the event you can’t discover the cheese you’ll be able to substitute with some grated plain haloumi and gentle yellow cheese, like cheddar. And don’t neglect – the sesame seeds are at all times sprinkled on the surface! So go forward, give this scrumptious recipe a try to don’t neglect to put up your feedback and suggestions under!
Substances for the Flauna Dough
- 500g plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Mahlab floor to a superb powder
- 1 teaspoon Mastic floor to a superb powder
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 125g butter, melted
- 1 sachet simple bake yeast
- a pinch of salt
- A touch of heat milk for kneading (about 80ml)
- 60ml heat water
Substances for the Flaounes filling and glazing
- 500g Flaounas cheese or alternatively 250g haloumi and 250g gentle cheddar
- 1/Four cup semolina
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder,
- 1 tsp mahlab,
- 1 tsp mastic,
- 1 tsp chopped contemporary mint
- 120g raisins
- 1 egg, whisked (for the glazing)
- 1/2 cups sesame seeds (for the glazing)
- In an effort to have the very best texture to your flaouna, it’s best to arrange the filling from the night time earlier than or not less than Four-5 hours earlier than baking. This may enable the cheese filling to dry out and have the ability to soak up extra of the “moisture” from the liquid flaouna components.
- Begin off by grating the cheese as superb as you probably can. Add the crushed eggs, the raisins, the mint, the mastic, mahlab and the semolina and blend totally. Cowl it with a fabric and place within the fridge in a single day or for not less than Four-5 hours earlier than baking.
- Subsequent off begin getting ready the dough. The dough is extra like a shortbread and never very bread-y therefore watch out to not overwork the dough as your flaouna can be a bit doughy. In a big bowl sift the flour, add the salt, baking powder, the mahlab, mastic and blend totally.
- Add the liquid components to your flaouna recipe combination that are the butter and eggs and gently combine the flaouna dough with your fingers. Dissolve the yeast in the nice and cozy water with the sugar, pour into the dough after which add the nice and cozy milk. Watch out to your water and milk to be solely lukewarm and never sizzling as they’ll kill your yeast!
- Proceed kneading the dough for a couple of minutes till the feel is agency however not bread-like. If the dough is just too moist add just a little extra flour however watch out to not overdo it as you don’t need the flaouna to have a bread-y texture. Cowl the dough combine with some cling movie and let it rise for 1-2 hours or till it has virtually doubled in dimension.
- Now its time to start out assembling your flaouna! Get the filling combination out of the fridge and add the remaining combination components. Combine totally and set it apart. Pour the flaouna dough out of the bowl and roll out in skinny sheets. Reduce into 12 by 12 cm rectangles, about 5 inches in every dimension. Sprinkle the sesame seeds on a small plate with roughly the identical dimension because the flaouna dough rectangles
- Glaze the outer aspect of the flaouna dough with the whisked eggs and press it down on the sesame seeds. That may make sure that the seeds are firmly embedded within the dough. Seize a handful of the cheese filling and type a ball. Place within the centre of the dough (sesame seeds dealing with outwards), glaze the sides with just a little extra whisked egg and fold, pinching the corners collectively to type the flaouna form.
- As soon as all of your flaouna are formed, place them on a baking tray lined with grease proof paper, allow them to rise for about 30-45 minutes after which bake in a pre-heated oven at 200C for about 40 minutes, or till golden brown.