Considered one of Group India’s most prolific run-scorers and a report breaker, Sunil Gavaskar turned 69 on July 10. A gifted and fearless cricketer of his era, ‘Sunny’ as he’s fondly known as, was concerned in an incident at his birth the place he got exchanged with a fisherman’s little one. It is a true story!
The Sunil Gavaskar that we all know at present, could not have been identified to all if it wasn’t for a birthmark close to his ear which performed a important and pivotal position in stopping what might have been a large loss for Indian cricket.
Here is how the story unfolded.
Gavaskar, who was born in 1949 in Mumbai, was swapped by a fisherman’s new-born little one. It was Gavaskar’s uncle who in horror realised that the kid was not Sunny. After a frantic search by the world, the uncle managed to find Sunil who was at the time in a fisher-woman’s crib.
Think about, what if nobody had noticed Sunil when he was swapped? Would that different child been capable of breach the 10,000-run mark and turn out to be one in all India’s best legends? It is fairly exhausting to consider it.
In his auto-biography, Gavaskar acknowledged that if nobody had noticed him, he would have been toiling someplace alongside the west coast.
“Windfall had helped me to retain my new id, and within the course of charted the course of my life. I’ve usually puzzled what would have occurred if nature had not ‘marked’ me out, and given me my ‘guard’ by giving me that small gap on my left ear lobe; and if Nan-kaka had not seen this abnormality. Maybe, I might have grown as much as be an obscure fisherman, toiling someplace alongside the west coast. And, what concerning the child who, for a spell, too my place? I have no idea if he’s keen on cricket, or whether or not he’ll ever learn this e book. I can solely hope that, if he does, he’ll begin taking a little extra curiosity in Sunil Gavaskar.”
Listed here are another unknown details concerning the Grasp Blaster you could haven’t identified:
* Gavaskar has scored 13 Take a look at tons of in opposition to West Indies, a report which stays until date.
* Gavaskar was a participant who did not look at the scoreboard whereas batting however all the time knew when he was near a landmark.
* Gavaskar’s favorite sport was badminton and he adopted Tennis fairly carefully as properly.
* As soon as, Gavaskar, who’s a right-handed batsman, performed with the left hand in first-class cricket to protest in opposition to a poor observe and remained not-out!
* Gavaskar wished to turn out to be a wrestler throughout his childhood and was a large fan of Maruthi Vadar, however one way or the other opted to play cricket.
* Sunil Gavaskar has performed a lead position in a Marathi film – Savli Premachi.
* Sunil Gavaskar was afraid of canines.