The easiest conventional Greek lamb kleftiko recipe (Greek lamb wrapped in parchment paper)! Juicy and tender, melt-in-the-mouth lamb kleftiko with fluffy potatoes and a scrumptious white wine sauce, infused with the aromas of garlic, candy onions, roast peppers and juicy tomatoes.. Merely irresistible!
Greek lamb Kleftiko recipe – What does Lamb Kleftiko imply?
Lamb kleftiko is a country, conventional Greek recipe made with sluggish cooked lamb, first marinated in garlic, olive oil and lemon juice. This conventional recipe was initially cooked in an earth oven, a easy pit within the floor, used to lure warmth and smoke. Lamb ‘kleftiko’ actually means lamb ‘stolen’. This title is claimed to originate from the Klephts who would steal lamb or goats and prepare dinner the meat in hidden underground ovens with a purpose to seal the flavors and smells and keep away from being caught!
The way to make the right Greek Lamb Kleftiko
These days lamb Kleftiko is baked sealed, wrapped in parchment paper (in parcels or pouches) to maintain all of the juices and flavors inside (see additionally the preparation images under). For this Greek lamb kleftiko recipe I at all times want utilizing a leg of lamb, which when sluggish cooked turns into tremendous tender! You could possibly both use the leg complete, which would require some additional cooking time, or ask your butcher to chop it into giant, bone-in items. Though quite a lot of lamb kleftiko recipes don’t add the potatoes in the identical pouch with the lamb, I strongy recomment doing so for them to take in all of the scrumptious lamb juices! Marinating the lamb kleftiko for a minimum of 2 hours, or ideally in a single day, is important to permit the meat to soak up all of the great Mediterranean flavours and aromas. The key step to the right lamb kleftiko is to unwrap the parchment paper proper earlier than its totally accomplished, flip the warmth up and bake a little bit longer to get the lamb and the potatoes properly colored and crispy on the surface. Lastly don’t overlook the all vital salad! This earthy dish is greatest paired with a refreshing Greek feta salad which cuts into the meaty lamb taste and can additional enrich this conventional dish with the aromas of oregano and feta!
In case you are not too eager on Lamb, a very talked-about variation of this lamb kleftiko is ‘pork kleftiko or exohiko’, so should you fancy experimenting you can provide this one a strive too! So go forward, put together this conventional Greek lamb kleftiko recipe in your family and friends and impress them with this scrumptious hearty, conventional household dinner! Get pleasure from! Oh and you’ll at all times learn this scrumptious recipe in Greek right here Παραδοσιακή συνταγή για Αρνί Κλέφτικο
- 1-1.2 kg/ 35 oz. leg of lamb, boneless (approx. 2kg/ 70 oz. bone in)
- 2 small pink onions
- 2-Three bell peppers (inexperienced, pink, orange)
- four cloves of garlic (2 sliced and a pair of complete)
- 2 tbsps mustard
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 a cup olive oil
- 1/2 a cup dry white wine
- 200g kefalotyri or Graviera or any had yellow cheese, reduce into cubes (7 oz.)
- 5 medium sized potatoes
- 1/2 ripe tomato, sliced
- salt and freshly floor pepper
- parchment paper
- kitchen string
- To organize this Greek lamb kleftiko recipe, begin by washing completely the lamb and reduce into parts (approx. 5*6 cm). Place in a big bowl or basin and put aside.
- Put together the greens for the lamb kleftiko. Reduce the onions in half after which in 4 wedges. Reduce the peppers in 2-Three cm chunks and slice 2 cloves of garlic. Add the greens within the bowl with the lamb and pour within the olive oil, white wine and lemon juice. Add the mustard, 2 complete cloves of garlic, sprinkle with oregano and season with salt and pepper. Use your palms to mix all of the substances collectively. Cowl the bowl with plastic wrap, chill and let marinade for a minimum of 2 hours. It’s greatest to depart the meat for the lamb kleftiko marinade in a single day, to take in all of the great flavours.
- As soon as the meat for the lamb kleftiko is marinated, return the lamb at room temperature. In the identical bowl add the cheese (reduce into 2cm cubes) and mix. Preheat the oven to 180C.
- To organize the potatoes for this lamb kleftiko recipe, peel the potatoes and reduce in 4 items. (The lamb kleftiko would require about 2 1/2 hours baking, so it’s greatest to chop the potatoes in giant items, to maintain their form.)
- Now it’s time to wrap the lamb kleftiko in parchment paper. Lay four lengthy items of parchment paper to type a star. Pop the potatoes within the centre of the parchment paper and season with salt and a pinch of oregano. Pour the marinade from the lamb over the potatoes and set the lamb and greens on prime of the potatoes. Layer with the sliced tomato and enclose the lamb kleftiko right into a pouch. To enclose the lamb kleftiko maintain the parchment paper from the perimeters, crosswise and seize together with your hand within the center, simply above the stuffing and squeeze. Use the kitchen string to tie tightly the entire thing collectively, simply above the stuffing and elevate right into a roasting tin.
- Roast the lamb kleftiko within the oven for about 1 hour 45 minutes till tender. Take away the tin from the oven and enhance the temperature to 220C. Unwrap the lamb kleftiko and scrunch the parchment paper below the rim of the tin. Baste the lamb with the juices and return in the oven for an extra 20 minutes till browned. Take away the items of lamb from the pouch and wrap them in some foil to relaxation. Toss the potatoes and return in the oven for about 20 minutes, till properly colored.
- Return the lamb items within the roasting tin and serve the lamb kleftiko as it’s. Get pleasure from!